Sunday, December 2, 2012

First full day back and it was quite busy between a church meeting and the Get off the Hill dinner with the Bethlehem youth tonight. My friend Mary Beth, who has been to Haiti, said to me that she thought the culture shock was worse returning home. I think I have to agree. Upon returning in Atlanta, the first thing I noticed was people eating food at a restaurant - plentiful portions of food prepared in minutes and served to you in a comfortable environment. Most Haitians are lucky to eat one good meal a day. When I walked into my home, I realized just how big it is (it seems even bigger than before) and how much I have that I could do without. I'm not sure why we/I get caught up in more and bigger is better.

I took a good look at my dining room today, and yes, a Haitian home that we built is smaller than my dining room. Jim and I actually love our small apartment sized place that we built in SD because of its simplicity. Yet, that's just our vacation home and it's still larger than a typical Haitian home.

My shower last night with a steady stream of warm water was truly luscious. My bed felt even better. I know that my king sized bed would not fit in the master suite of our Haitian home.

Their lives are simple yet full of daily challenges to fulfill basic needs. They are a spirited people who don't give up easily and appreciate their blessings.  I think the picture below of Hones clutching his bible delivered by President Carter, showing his love for his new home, says it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment