Friday, December 7, 2012

Yes, another post.  I think I should keep posting to this blog until I figure out exactly what to do in my life with this life-changing experience that I had in Haiti.

I was out sick from work a couple of days this past week.  I must have picked up something from one of my flights back.  As I was home,  relaxing and drinking lots of tea, I couldn't help but think about the Haitians and when they get sick.  Those living in tents and tarps tend to get sick from their environment.  The heat during the day in the tents/tarps is unbearable.  That's one reason why we always saw so many people walking around during the day.  In fact, a lot of people get bad headaches from living in the tents/tarps.  I can't imagine being sick and not being able to be in your home.  When I was home from work this week, I loved being in comfortable clothes in my home, drinking lots of tea and having comfort food of soup and bread.  Plus, I have sick leave from work.  Such comforts do not exist in Haiti.

I've started scheduling lunches with friends and coworkers who have been to Haiti to share experiences.  Plus, I'm starting to schedule presentations for my church, my local Habitat chapter, and a few other interested organizations.  Here's an update from Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat International.  Stories from the 2012 Carter Work Project  Yes, I also met Jonathan last week.  His update includes links to stories, photos and videos, and a few words from President Carter.  I also want to share President Carter's Sunday School lesson last Sunday in Haiti.  Sunday School with President Carter

As I figure out what this life-changing experience means to me, I do know that I want to continue to be involved with Habitat for Humanity at both local and international levels including trips back to Haiti, and I definitely want to participate in more Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Projects.  I hope to get Jim involved at the international level as well, perhaps in the 2013 Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment