Monday, October 29, 2012

As I watch CNN tonight and Hurricane Sandy hitting the east coast, I think about how the Haitians are doing in their recovery of yet another hurricane.  Sandy took 51 lives there and flooded Leogane, where I will be in a month to build homes.  See the article and some pictures at  Hurricane's death toll rises to 65 in Caribbean.  Volunteers of this year's Carter Work Project (CWP) are wondering (and asking on the CWP Facebook page) how the homes built last year by the CWP held up.  I don't know the answer yet.

After two wildfires in Los Alamos County over the past 12+ years, and having to evacuate once, and being ready to evacuate the second time, I can't imagine not being able to evacuate.  That is, not having the resources to move away temporarily and avoid the "storm".  The Haitians have to ride it out and then deal with the consequences.  When the smoke got bad in White Rock last summer, Jim and I evacuated.  In fact, we turned it into an evacation.

Let's hope this hurricane season comes to an end soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment