Friday, October 12, 2012

To truly become a part of this experience, I have to share my shopping trip to REI today.  Some of you know that I am NOT a shopper.  In fact, if I shop for too long, I start to get physically ill...or at least I think I become ill.  But my shopping trip today was too fun!

I started at the mosquito nets.  We are "strongly encouraged" to bring a mosquito net with a single point connection (something like the picture below).



So after researching them (yes, I have to research them first), I know just what I want.  Of course, it's one of the more expensive single point connection ones, which means that it's a bit roomier and mosquitoes can not bite you through it.  Of course, they (the Santa Fe REI) don't have it (neither does the Albuquerque or Denver REIs).  I'll have to order it on-line.  So then I start browsing.  Here are the treasures I found and bought.

*  REI base camp pillow - It had the best reviews on-line and even though it's not as compact as others, it seems evenly fluffy.  I'll give it a try tonight.
*  2 camping towels with hand carry cases - Wow, are these towels compact!  Perhaps I should try them before the trip also.
*  1 supposedly, unbreakable mirror - I'll find out if that's true.  Not on the list, but I thought I should have one.  Is that vain?
*  8.5 oz. of "Wilderness Wash" - Good for body wash and shampoo (as well as dishes and clothes, for which I won't have an opportunity to use it)
*  4 coreless and very compact rolls of toilet tissue - The list also recommends wet wipes.
Do you get the impression yet that we're roughing it?!
*  Insect repellent with permethrin - This is to spray my clothes (my mosquito net of choice is pre-sprayed) before going.  I got 24 ounces, which treats four complete outfits.
*  2 clearance light-weight long-sleeved shirts - which they recommend for the sun and the mosquitos
*  2 clearance pants with zip-off legs (for shorts) - I'll only use the shorts if I can not stand the heat (literally).

Did I mention that we're roughing it?
Tents - Cots and foam pads are provided.  I will bring a sheet set that I have from my South Pacific travels as a student and my new pillow.
Toilets - It sounds like outhouses or perhaps what I had on my Kenyan safari - a hole in the ground that we dug at each campsite.
Showers - I'm not sure what we'll have for showers or water, though they will be available 6-9pm every evening.

I plan on bringing a backpack (internal frame) that I used for my South Pacific travels.  The trick (as with any trip) will be to fit everything in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment