Sunday, November 25, 2012

Got into Haiti yesterday.  All went well aside from a couple of logistical glitches.  Weather is hot and humid. I'm in one of the big tents, sectioned into four parts, with 20 people (women) each.  Have met lots of nice people. President Jimmy Carter was on my flight and shook everyone's hand before we took off in Atlanta.  Wow!  We are now waiting for Sunday School service, which he is leading.  Be forewarned Pastor Bruce, I may higher expectations after this morning.

The bus ride to the camp site took about an hour.  I started snapping lots of pictures out the window and then felt a bit numbed by the shock of the sites.  There are still LOTS of tents/tarps for homes, very crowded.  You can definitely tell that the infrastructure is still recovering, and unfortunately, probably will be for a while.  The countryside is green and seems lush, though the mountainsides looked bare in places.

People waved to us as we passed by in the buses. Today is the first work day after Sunday School.  I understand that Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter work on a home also.  I did ask my team leader last night if they were on our team.  He said they weren't.  I still hope to get my book signed by him.  I brought his latest middle east peace book, thinking the topic was timely.  Jimmy and Rosalynn are truly amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment