Saturday, November 17, 2012

Here's my second post tonight.

Today I started "packing" (gathering my items) for the 2012 Carter Work Project.  I sprayed one shirt with permethrin, recommended for added protection against mosquitoes.  Jim suggested I spray one shirt, let it dry, and wear it before spraying the rest of my clothes.  Good idea since I seem to have sensitive skin these days.  I'm wearing the shirt now and it feels fine.  I'll spray the rest of my clothes tomorrow.

I still have to practice pitching my mosquito net and read the Education and Advocacy Guide just sent to the volunteers.  Every evening in Haiti there will be an opportunity to learn more about poverty and shelter.  Here are the themes for this year.


Saturday, Nov. 24: A year later
since Carter Work Project volunteers were last in Haiti, government has stabilized, rubble piles have been reduced and thousands of people have moved from camps to more durable shelter. Progress is visible.

Sunday, Nov. 25: One step at a time
Have you ever thought about how the poor around the world build or add on to their houses?

Monday, Nov. 26: Pathways to permanence
although immediate relief is necessary in a disaster situation, creating a pathway to permanence requires looking beyond initial efforts to the long-term needs of a country.

Tuesday, Nov. 27: Housing and health
a safe and secure home provides more than just shelter from nature’s harshest elements.

Wednesday, Nov. 28:The power of volunteerism
although volunteerism is a key component in Habitat for Humanity’s work, the massive need for local jobs has led us to limit the use of volunteers in Haiti since the earthquake.

Thursday, Nov. 29: Housing the bottom billion
more than 1 billion people — one-sixth of the world’s population — live in slums in abysmal housing without adequate access to clean water and sanitation.

Friday, Nov. 30:Take action
Upon returning home, you will be encouraged to take further action and continue to stand up with Haiti and speak up for housing.
page14image18528
page14image18800
page14image19072
page14image19344
page14image19616
page14image19888
page14image20160


I'm really looking forward to this overall experience...learning more about Haiti, the people, working with them to improve their situation, and learning more about advocating for the needs of Haiti and for all families in need of adequate shelter.

There will be an internet cafe (or tent) at the campsite, so I'll try to post to my blog at least a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment