Friday, November 30, 2012

Today was our last day.  It was a busy day and emotional.  My friend Suse, whom I sat by on the flight out, warned me that it'd be emotional.  President Carter and Rosalynn came around in the early afternoon to present a bible to each homeowner and take a picture with two work crews and the homeowners.  The picture was taken in front of Hones' home since it was the furthest along. Yes Mom, I will have an opportunity to order this picture. Then we held a dedication ceremony later in the afternoon which was informal but nice.  Katorsky read psalm 23 out of his bible and then both he and Hones said a few words.  Translated, they told us how much they appreciated our help, enjoyed working with us, learned a lot, and will pray for us.  They also hope to see us again some day.  That would be nice.  They are really great guys.  We met Katorsky's wife and baby today - through the security fence.  We met Hones' mother the other day, who will living in Hones' home.

Here's the end result of our homes.  We didn't quite finish, but were so, so close. I so wanted to stay just another 30 minutes even.  Leaving on the buses, all of the homeowners from last year were out with their children waving goodbye.

 
I better get to bed now.  Our wake-up call tomorrow is at 3am and I have to board the buses at 3:45am.  I leave Haiti tomorrow a bit (or a lot) altered for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment